Serves 4 - 6
Prep time 10 mins
Cooking time 20 - 30 mins
Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Nut Free, Sugar Free, Vegetarian, Vegan
Stick of cinnamon (about and inch and a half in size)
Cumin seeds (1 level tablespoon)
Black mustard seeds (1 level tablespoon)
A couple of bay leaves
1 large white onion (diced finely)
Garlic crushed (6 cloves)
Green chillies (3 -4)
Ginger crushed (a piece about an inch and a half big)
Fresh chopped coriander (a handful and some for later to garnish)
Cumin powder (1 level teaspoon)
Coriander powder (1 level teaspoon)
Turmeric (1 level teaspoon)
Plum tomatoes (1 tin blended)
Black eyed beans (2 tins)
Salt (level teaspoon)
1 cup water
Lemon juice (half a lemon)
- In a saucepan add the oil until hot.
- Add cinnamon stick until it starts to sizzle.
- Then add cumin and black mustard seeds and bay leaves until the seeds start popping.
- Add chopped onions and stir until nicely golden brown.
- Then add the chilli, garlic and ginger until nicely browned.
- Add the handful of coriander leaves and leave to sizzle for a few minutes.
- Then add the ground cumin, coriander and turmeric and keep stirring so the spices do not burn. You just want to toast them so the flavours release.
- Then add the plum tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Once the sauce is boiling nicely add the black eye beans and the salt. Add some water, around half a cup to a cup but don't make it too watery.
- Stir well and leave to simmer with a lid on for about 20 - 30 mins on a low to medium heat.
- Before serving squeeze in half a lemon and stir.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve with plain yogurt and a couple of rotis and a pickle. Lovely for a cold autumn or winters day.